08 April 2011

Words are AWESOME!

I think the most important part of a novel are those first few sentences. Whether the book starts out with a preface, pologue, or chapter one, what you first read sets the whole tone of the book. So, I've gone through my bookshelves and found some awesome beginnings.

"The best day of my life happened when I was five and almost died at Disney World."
--Going Bovine by Libba Bray

"First the colors. Then the humans. That's usually how I see things. Or at least, how I try. Here is a small fact: You are going to die."
--The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

"Everything changed the night I saw the burning man fall from the sky."
--Falling Under by Gwen Hayes

"Mommy forgot to warn the new babysitter about the basement."
--The Summoning by Kelley Armstrong

"They said she killed her self. Everyone was saying it."
--The Hollow by Jessica Verday

"I am Mary. I am a witch. Or some would call me."
--Witch Child by Celia Rees

"There are seventeen mad houses in the city of Lovecraft. I've visited all of them."
--The Iron Thorn by Caitlin Kittredge

"Strangers never walk down this road, the sisters thought in unison as the man trudged towards them. Certainly not strangers in business suits-- there was no reason for them to be out here in the middle of nowhere."
--Sisters Red by Jackson Pearce

"The gunman is useless. I know it. He knows it. The whole bank knows it."
--I Am the Messenger by Markus Zusak

"There were only two kinds of people in our town. 'The stupid and the stuck,' my father had affectionately classified our neighbors. 'The ones who stay are too dumb to go. Everyone else finds a way out.'"
--Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl

"My mother used to tell me about the ocean. She said there was a place where there was nothing but water as far as you could see and that is was always moving, rushing toward you and then away."
--The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment